Background and Objective: Emerging markets have been out of the news for almost two decades. They fared better than advanced economies during the Great Financial Crisis and benefited from the increased global liquidity in its aftermath. This fortunate constellation of events seems to be coming to an end and there are worries about emerging markets again.
Economic Research Southern Africa and CEPR are organizing a research conference with the aim of fostering debate on emerging market economies’ policy options. What are the problems awaiting EMEs, which of these are new, what are the empirical and theoretical frameworks through which we can analyze these issues? The conference will be a venue to discuss the current research on emerging markets, as well as debating open questions in research and policy.
Conference Date and Location: Pretoria, 28-29 November 2022
Keynote speakers: Laura Alfaro (Harvard and CEPR) and Javier Bianchi (Minneapolis Fed.)
Organising committee: Refet Gurkaynak (Bilkent University and CEPR) Mamokete Lijane (Absa Capital) Giovanni Ricco (University of Warwick, CEPR, ERSA) Luchelle Soobyah (South Africa Reserve Bank) Xolani Sibande (South Africa Reserve Bank) Nicola Viegi (University of Pretoria and ERSA)
Submissions: The deadline for submissions is Thursday, 30 June 2022 (18:00 GMT). Only papers submitted by the deadline will be considered. Notification of acceptance will be given by 15 July 2022. Travel and accommodation costs for academic speakers on the programme will be covered based on CEPR travel guidelines.
Authors who are CEPR affiliated or already have a CEPR profile can upload their submission by:
1) Going to https://portal.cepr.org/meetings/1585/info and log in to the CEPR portal
2) If you are an affiliate of the IMF, MEF and MG programme areas click on “Change registration details”, complete the requested information and click “Submit information”
3) If you are affiliated to another programme area or not CEPR affiliated but have a CEPR profile, click on “Step 1: Apply” and complete the requested information and click “Register”
Authors who do not have a CEPR profile can upload their submission by:
1) Creating a new profile here https://portal.cepr.org/user/register
2) Go to https://portal.cepr.org/meetings/1585/info and log in to the CEPR portal
3) Click on “Step 1: Apply” and complete the requested information and click “Register”